The 2017 Beat the Backlist challenge runs throughout the year and focuses on reading books released prior to 2017, as to priorize books that have been on our TBR for too long or books that were forgotten to make room for new releases.
I like this idea because every year I get excited about a lot of books but I’m never able to read even half of them so they get stuck in my TBR. Each year comes with new books and, again, the same thing happens.
And another cool thing? You set your reading goal! I like how it doesn’t put too much presure on you, as one of the reasons I don’t participate on challenges is because I get stressed out very easily.
My goal is to read 15 books for this challenge
PROGRESS: 18/15 books read
Here are some options (I’m adding more than 15, counting the ones from this list so I can choose):
- Alienated by Melissa Landers (book 1)
- Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (book 1)
- Charlotte Holmes by Brittany Cavallaro (book 1)
- The Hundred by Kass Morgan (book 4)
The Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz (book 1)
- More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (book 1)
- Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan (books 2-5)
- The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard (books 1-2)
- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (books 2-4)
The Royals by Erin Watt (book 3)
- The Selection by Kiera Cass (books 4-5)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (books 7-13)
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (books 2-3)
- The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (book 3)
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (book 1)
- The Winner’s Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski (book 3)
Books I have finished:
- Just One Day by Gayle Forman (finished 01/01)
- The Elite by Kiera Cass (finished 07/01)
- The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (finished 12/01)
- The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (finished 12/02)
- The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket (finished 26/02)
- Just One Year by Gayle Forman (finished 27/02)
- Pillow Thoughts by Courtney Peppernell (finished 01/03)
- The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket (finished 06/03)
- The Austere Academy by Lemony Snicket (finished 17/04)
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (finished 03/05)
- The One by Kiera Cass (finished 05/05)
- The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket (finished 13/05)
- The Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz (finished 22/05)
- Marked by PC and Kristin Cast (finished 26/05)
- Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (finished 30/05)
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (finished 06/06)
- Twisted Palace by Erin Watt (finished 07/06)
- The Amateurs by Sara Shepard (finished 12/06)
Most of them are also featured on my list of series I am planning on finishing this year, and since there are already 14 books (almost 15) in there, I hope I can beat that number.
I will be updating this list as I make progress. I might add a couple more books to the list (any recommendations?) but I repeat: my goal is to read 15 books. In the odd case I beat my goal with time to spare, I will update the goal and add to my list. But I will try not to delete them, only add them.
Updates on the challenge will be found in my monthly wrap ups.
Are you taking part in the challenge? What’s your goal? Which books are you planning on reading? Are you participating in other challenges?